This one-day workshop on Thursday, Sept. 13 in Boulder, Colorado, will cover the critical elements of running an REU.
Topics will include:
- The REU calendar (a year in an REU)
- Creating an inclusive application and website
- Recruiting students to meet your program goals
- How to select students: a critical aspect of creating a diverse cohort
- Finding and preparing mentors
- Supporting REU project design and management
- An introduction to program evaluation
- Supporting students beyond the REU: conferences, grad school, and more
The main workshop is being designed with input from the National Science Foundation, and will go into greater depth on issues of contemporary importance.
Instructors: David Karowe, Diana Dalbotten, Itchung Cheung, Anne Gold, Rebecca Haacker, and Valerie Sloan
Timing: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Thursday, Sept. 13.
Location: The workshop will be held at the NCAR Foothills Lab, 3450 Mitchell Lane, Boulder, CO.
Travel: Please plan to arrive on the evening of Sept. 12. The main workshop will run from 8:30 a.m., Fri. Sept. 14 through 8:30 p.m., Sat. Sept. 15.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Valerie Sloan soon to reserve a spot.
We hope that you will join us!