Index of Topics
This page highlights resources applicable to the SOARS/RECCS webinar "Paid Summer Research Opportunities for Two-Year and Four-Year College Students in the Geosciences" presented on December 14, 2016.
The webinar recording from the webinar on Dec. 14, 2016, "Paid Summer Research Opportunities for Two-Year and Four-Year College Students in the Geosciences" is available here.
What is a research experience?
Being prepared for your conference can make it much more enjoyable and less stressful. Here are some tips:
- A 6 - 10 week, paid, hands-on, summer work experience in a research environment
- Working under the mentorship of a scientist or team
- Collecting data in the field, computer modeling, and data analysis
- Presenting your research progress in a talk or poster, and possibly traveling to a conference
- Making Your Summer Research Internship a Good One - A good article on what a research internship is like
Why do a summer research experience?
Internships can be incredible learning experiences, and confidence-building adventures!
- Why Should I Do Research? - A list
- YouTube video of interns describing their summer research experience - a must-see!
- Why you should do an internship - graphics and statistics
- The Benefits of an Undergraduate Research Internship - One person's account of how an internship affected her career path
What opportunities are available?
Read up on the many, varied opportunities and apply to the ones that feel right for you!
- NSF REU programs are listed here: https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp
- NCAR opportunities are listed here: https://ncar.ucar.edu/opportunities/internships
- Institute for Broadening Participation searchable database: http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/
- NASA internships: https://intern.nasa.gov
- Government internships: https://www.usajobs.gov
- The SOARS program (atmospheric sciences): http://www.soars.ucar.edu
- The RECCS program (critical zone science): http://cires.colorado.edu/outreach/RECCS
- The RESESS program (solid earth science): http://resess.unavco.org/
- NEON fieldwork opportunities (ecological sciences): https://www.neonscience.org/opportunities/careers/seasonal-fieldwork-opportunities
- A list of NSF GEO REUs that are currently accepting community college students (please note that this might not be complete - reach out to other programs you are interested in even if it's not on this list!)
How do I prepare my application?
- A guided timeline on applying to summer research internships
- Tips on creating a winning application
- YouTube video on How to Apply for the SOARS Program
Who should I pick for references?
Choose people who believe in you! Here are other tips...
How do I write an essay for the application?
- Writing strong essays and personal statements
- Watch the SOARS video on writing an application essay
- Article on what to expect in an internship - This tells it like it is!
What is it like living in Boulder, Colorado?
- Things to do in Boulder - outdoor recreation, the culture, and more
- Boulder climate and weather - according to NOAA
- Keep Boulder Fun - a Facebook collection of great photos from the Boulder area
Can you direct me to other resources?
- Tips on talking to your family about doing a summer undergraduate research internship
Thanks to the Institute for Broadening Participation's Pathway to Science for giving permission to share their materials.