The 2020 NSF Ocean Sciences REU virtually brings together students from around the United States, through programs hosted at Rutgers University, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and Northwest Research Associates. This includes about 45 undergraduates.
Find information here on the professional development workshop series being run for the 2020 NSF Ocean Sciences REU.
Professional Development Workshop Calendar
Wednesdays in June and July 2020 at the following times:
- 4:00 - 6:00 am Guam Time
- 9:00 - 11:00 am HST
- 11:00 - 1:00 AKDT
- 12:00 - 2:00 pm PDT
- 1:00 - 3:00 pm MDT
- 2:00 - 4:00 pm CDT
- 3:00 - 5:00 pm EDT
|June 10||Anti-harassment and discrimination training|
|June 17||Discussion on diversity, equity, and inclusion|
|June 24||Research ethics in the geosciences|
|July 1||Elevator speeches and Introduction to posters|
|July 8||How to give a bad talk (and to prepare a good one)|
|July 15||Resume/CV writing & career exploration|
|July 22||Graduate school panels: 1. Faculty, 2. Grad students|
|July 29||Career panel|
These are subject to change, but will be updated as the summer progresses.
Connect with the Workshop Team and Office Hours
Below are the times and contacts for the Student-Mentor Professional Development Support Team (STumP'D). Please see your email for Zoom links and passwords for the office hours.
|Monday||1 pm MT||Richard Emlet|
|Tuesday||1 pm MT||Nicole Nakata|
|Wednesday||11 am MT||Valerie Sloan|
|Thursday||1 pm MT||Rennie Meyers|
|Friday||1 pm MT||Richard Emlet|
Connect with Students
Please see your email or contact a member of the STumP'D team for links to the GroupMe site and Excel spreadsheet with the list of names of participants.
COVID-19 Principles and Tips for Working During a Pandemic
- You are not "working from home." You are at home during a pandemic, trying to work.
- Your physical, mental, and emotional health is the most important thing right now. Without it, there is no doing science!
- Focus on accomplishing tasks rather than hours spent on work. Also, don't try to compensate for lost productivity by working longer hours. Stay fresh!
- Don't compare your ability to cope with everyone else's. Don't judge yourself or judge others; everyone has struggles.
- Let’s support each other in this time!
Tips for Working During a Pandemic
- Create a dedicated workspace
- Create a routine
- Get dressed
- Open the curtains or blinds
- Schedule breaks and take them in their entirety
- Keep up with your email
- Take decent breaks and enjoy the small pleasures of life
- Don’t hesitate to reach out for help
- Be social through communication tools